PhotoBrussels Festival is the annual event dedicated to photography in Brussels. Exhibitions, meetings, workshops, and conferences constitute a global program that covers the whole city and brings up places that showcase photography: the Festival Tour.
During the Festival, Hangar proposes a thematic exhibition, and in the framework of the 7th edition, launches a Call for photographers on the theme: Self-portrait.
This call is open for original and unpublished projects that explore the theme of self-portraiture in photography. Winners will be exhibited at Hangar during PhotoBrussels Festival 07, along with a curated selection of artists. The exhibition will take place from January 26th to March 25th, 2023.
Conditions for participation
– being over the age of majority (18+);
– being a photographer or an artist using photography (and/or video);
– who should demonstrate at least ONE of these three possibilities:
• a track record of professional practice as an artist (exhibitions, publications)
• having a degree in Photography
• being an art school trainee
Terms & Conditions
– Laureates will be part of the collective exhibition at Hangar, during PhotoBrussels Festival 07;
– Laureates will have their work published in the exhibition catalogue;
– Production cost of the works included in the exhibition will be covered;
– A Leica camera will be offered for the “Coup de Coeur Leica”.
Members of the jury
An experienced international jury of 6 experts in the field of photography will select 3 projects/series from all entries. The selected projects will be part of the collective exhibition curated by Hangar, during PhotoBrussels Festival 07.
The project must…
– be photographic, videographic or both: all photographic work is taken into account, regardless of the genre or technique chosen by the photographers. The project can explore the limits of the medium
– have a relevant concept story/statement
– respect the theme (see above)
The novelty of the projects will be a criteria taken into account in the final decision.
The jury will select 3 laureates.
Registration & submission
From 5th July to 5th October 2022
2nd week of October 2022
Deliberations of the jury
3rd week of October 2022
Announcement of the laureates
1st week of November 2022
Curatorial and scenographic decisions + Production
Exhibition (during PhotoBrussels Festival 07)
26 January – 25 March 2023
How to apply?
Registration and submission
Between 5th July and 5th October 2022, at 23:59.
1) Fill the form.
2) Upload one single PDF document (that must not exceed 10Mo compressed), named as followed: FirstName_Surname_ProjectTitle.pdf (e.g. John_Smith_Portrait.pdf). This file must contain:
• a brief presentation of the project/ a statement, in English (maximum 500 words).
• a brief biography in English (maximum 300 words).
• a rights-free photographic portrait of yourself.
• a representative portfolio of your project, consisting of 10 (minimum) to 20 photos, with their title/caption (min 72 dpi), and/or a video (if your project contains a video, please attach a WeTransfer link in the form).
3) Pay the registration fee of 20€ to confirm your submission
If you have questions, you can contact us: email@example.com